Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Manet at the RA

Enjoyed the Manet at the RA on Sunday 17th Feb - followed by afternoon tea at Selfridges.  Loved the display at Jonathan Adler and Anthropologie - two of my favourite brands.  I enjoyed the Manet's where black anchors the composition, often set against whites or skin tones.  The influence of photography, as in his sister-in-law's portrait, is obvious and often divided his work into two camps.  For me, I don't think his skills as a draughtsman were his forte but his use of colour, tone and texture is always rewarding. 

I also had time last week to call in at the Portrait Gallery to see The Lost Prince.  The wonderful miniature by William Larkin never fails to exhilarate the senses - his delicate portrayal of ruffled lace!  I felt Kate Middleton's portrait was a lost opportunity; more befitting a L'Oreal advert, technical but not inspired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment